Old Georgetown District
The area of South Carolina that is known as the "Old Georgetown District" is located in the northeastern section of the state and was once part of Craven County, established in 1682. This area was known as the Georgetown Judicial District from 1769 until 1800. In 1800, the Georgetown Judicial District began to break up into smaller, separate judicial districts and eventually evolved into the six present-day counties of Horry, Georgetown, Marion, Dillon, all but a very small section of Williamsburg, and about half of Florence.
The Georgetown Judicial District consisted of all of the land between the coast and an imaginary line about fifty miles inland between the North Carolina state line and the Santee River. Its seat of government was the port city of Georgetown, located on Winyah Bay, which was founded in 1729.
The original seven judicial districts established in South Carolina in 1769 were: Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort, Cheraws, Camden, Orangeburg and Ninety-Six. Together with the "Indian Land" in the upstate, these districts made up present-day South Carolina. The old 1769 judicial district boundaries make convenient "geographic units" when studying South Carolina history. Thus, this project focuses on the "Old Georgetown District".
Click on image to enlarge